In Progress: Butterick 5036 (Shorts)

Now that summer is finally here, its time for some shorts . . . but for some reason nothing in my closet from last year seems to fit me this year. . .

A few years back, I made elastic-waisted, loose fitting shorts, but now I'm taking a stab at something new - shorts with a fly front, Butterick 5036:

I'm starting with a navy blue stretch twill fabric remnant from my stash and making a wearable muslin of the shorter version of the shorts. I was just able to squeeze the front, back and waistband from one yard and used a novelty cotton for the pockets. After I work out the fitting issues, I plan to make more in both lengths. The style is very simple and basic, perfect for wearing around the house and maybe running some errands on a hot day.

The pattern is very easy, except for the zipper front. Well, actually, the zipper is not that difficult, but the instructions and illustrations are difficult to understand. I managed to figure out what I was supposed to do and ended up with a satisfactory result for a muslin. I'll do better next time.

I've got a WIP review started over at which I will update as I make progress. No photos yet -- will have to add those later, after I tweak the fit a little and finish the hems.

Edited Aug-9-2020:  Fix broken link to photo from Picasa web albums to Google album


Popular Posts